Thursday, May 28, 2015

Race Report - Jerseyman Triathlon


Saturday May 16th was the annual Jerseyman Traithlon, a race that has come to be the beginning of my triathlon season. Living on the East Coast racing earlier in the year would involve traveling a great distance just to find a race, let alone moderate weather conditions. This year especially, after a winter of mostly indoor training, the bike legs needed some time to get back up to par. With my last race being Ironman Florida more than six months ago, I was more than ready to get back to a little swim-bike-run.

As this has become my traditional first triathlon of the season, it is not a priority race. Instead I think of it as a shakeout event, trying to test my equipment and get those little race mistakes that can crop up when you are away from it. It also means I train through with very little taper. Race week was normal training Monday through Wednesday, two easier days before the Saturday race, then a normal longer bike on Sunday.

Before I get into my race I just want to shamelessly plug this race. I highly recommend you race here if you have the opportunity. The course is fair, it is very well organized, and there is always a good group of athletes who show up. Because it is in mid-May the weather is usually not an issue. Getting to the race is easy as it is just off of Route 78. I love, love love racing in NJ to begin with, and living in Bethlehem, PA this gives me the chance to do it with just a 25 minute ride to Clinton, NJ.

With that out of the way, how'd it all work out for me this year?

Pre-Race
One of the many things I like about this race is the easy, low-stress race morning. The drive over was uneventful, although I was quite lucky. Just past the exit I was getting off there was an overturned tractor trailer that eventually caused a major backup. At the race site - Spruce Run Park - I quickly parked, took care of race day packet pickup (which is how every race should be IMHO), got my gear together and set up my transition area. Shorter races are nice in that transition is fairly simple.

After meeting up with Cassie I headed down to the water for a quick warm up swim. With the cooler weather we have been experiencing I had expected the water to be no warmer than 62 degrees. Much to my surprise the official reading was 65 degrees, but it felt warmer. No matter, in a wetsuit it was comfortable.

After the pre-race meeting and national anthem, we were ready to race.


Swim: 0.6 Mile 14:28 (0.5 mile 13:09 Garmin)
About 2 minutes before my wave (wave #2) set off it started to rain. Not very hard, but things didn't look so good in the direction of the bike course. No matter, have to get out of the lake before worrying about the bike. Five minutes after the elite wave we ran off the beach and into the water.

Like many smaller races I ran into a familiar problem. I am a good swimmer but not "a swimmer." My game plan of go out hard and sit on a set of fast feet that pass me early on didn't work. The problem is, you need a set of fast feet to come by. As I have become accustom to, there were 4 or 5 guys who were much faster than I am, and a bunch of guys slower than I am, but nobody who I could draft. About 200 meters in I realized this would be how it would be and just swam along.

After the turn home I noticed I was catching one of the guys from my wave and did manage to sit in his draft for a short period. I passed him and hit the beach after a half mile of swimming in 13:09 according to my Garmin. Not great but OK. The difference in times noted above reflects the .1 mile run to transition that is included in the official results.

T1: 2:07 

Ugggg. Wetsuit swims are great because you get the extra speed of the wetsuit. The problem (for me at least) is getting the dang wetsuit off. You would think that I would have it down after all these years, but I clearly do not. Trouble getting it off over the huge timing chip, losing time in the process.

Bike: 24 Miles 1:05:09
This is where the fun usually begins for me. The bike is my strength and I enjoy riding fast. After racing here the past few years I have come to appreciate the bike course with its fast descents, steady climbs and a few more technical sections. The course is lolly pop shaped, so what you ride out you ride back in.

I took the opportunity to take notice of any road issues on the out section, hoping to avoid any problems on the way back. The roads were wet and this past winter have left the area with some serious pot holes. Fortunately road conditions were fine with only a few sections that were less than ideal.

After settling in over the first few miles I worked the uphills and road a little cautious on the downhills. No reason to risk injury. From the beginning I was passing a steady stream of people racing the duathlon and by mile nine I began passing some of the men and women racing elite.

Then a weird thing happened. The loop section is a rural area with normally quiet roads. Apparently there is a business located in the area that gets deliveries from tractor trailers. I know this because I was forced to slow down for a short stretch behind this 18-wheeler. Wasn't his fault. Wasn't the race director's fault. Just was what it was. Lost a little time, but nothing that made a difference.

Anyway, other than one slick area of road the rest of the ride was uneventful.

T2: 0:52

Mid-season form. Quickly off my bike, then quickly in and out of transition.

Run: 4 miles 27:14
Heading out of T2 I decided to avoid the data on my Garmin and just race. My heart rate monitor was on the fritz anyway. Goal here was simple - run hard, run by feel, but don't blow up. I would check my mile splits.

The run course is a simple out-and-back that remains inside the park. The roads are rolling. About a 1/2 mile in, much to my surprise, I passed one of the elites on a small incline. That felt good. Moving forward I remained in control but started to hear footsteps. This continued past the 2 mile mark when I hear a fellow competitor tell me he was going to run with me.

Dude sped up and asked me what I was running ... "Last mile was 6:37" I said, before picking up the pace.

No way dude was going to pass me.

Dude backed off a bit and I picked it up. The only person who passed me before the finish line was the elite I passed early on. I cooled down with him and found out he is a fast runner who had some hamstring cramps coming off the bike.

Overall: 1:49:05 18/283 Overall 3rd AG 45-49
This race has always been a tri-season starter, giving me the chance to work off the rust of 6+ months of not racing triathlon. Mistakes will be made and while I always race with effort, it is not an "A" race. This year is no exception.

Overall I am happy with my performance. Could I have gone faster on the day? Probably. But given the conditions, the lack of a taper, etc. ... no regrets.

My swim was slower than last year, but my overall placing for the swim (24th) was right about what I would expect. This, even as I have been slacking off in the pool this year. On the bike I bested my time from last year even as wet roads got me to ride more conservatively than normal and a faster average pace than the year prior when the bike was only 20 miles. This makes me more confident going into Philly Tri next month. On the run I was more than satisfied with how I performed, racing smart and strong.

Jerseyman Triathlon - Jon Soden

Best part of the day, however, was racing with the two bad-ass women in the picture below. Lauren dropped a 1:53 and was the fastest woman on the day, while Cassie won the 25-29 AG with a 5 minute PR time of 1:58. They keep me on my game because I fear at some point in the near future they start to beat me. Yeah, they are THAT good.
Jonathan Soden - The Complex Triathlete
Full Race Results can be found here.

Up next: Focus is on the TriRock Philadelphia Triathlon on June 28th. Between now and then I will be racing the Tortoise & Hare 5k as well as the Wilson Partners in Education 5k that helps support the school district The Queen teaches in. 

Thanks for reading.

Train hard. Stay focused.
Jon





3 comments:

  1. Nice work man! Solid overall finish. Originally from Wayne, NJ. Never did a triathlon down there; only up in Massachusetts. Cheers. alicespringsathlete.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kevin. If you're ever back in NJ you should check it out. And btw, you killed it at IM Australia.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete