Friday, May 8, 2015

The Post-Race 24-hour Rule

Having perspective is always good. Racing is something I have done for a long time (20+ years now) and is something I truly enjoy doing. From the pomp and circumstance of big events like the Boston Marathon to a local sprint triathlon, every race has its own, unique appeal.

On most Thanksgiving Day morning's I can be found in Nazareth at the Pumpkin Pie 5k. It's good times hanging out with friends, sometimes winning a pumpkin pie for my efforts. It is more of a fun run that supports a good cause (Nazareth YMCA) with no expectations for performance or placing.

But not all races fall into the "just go have fun" bucket. Now that we are in the middle of May, race season is upon us. In 8 days I'll be racing my first triathlon of the year just over the Jersey boarder. It will be fun, is not my "A" race, but will be something I take serious.

I will race hard.

I will have expectations.

I will not lose my $hit if things don't work out as I have planned. Why not? Perspective.

Like all but a very few of us I am an amateur athlete. If I decide to participate in an event I pay my money, pick up my race packet, then give it my all from start to finish. After crossing the finish line I have performed as expected, maybe even lowering a PR. Every. Single. Time.

Yeah, right.

Truth be told, I give it my all most of the time. See, there are times that things just aren't clicking ... or there's a mechanical issue ... or the legs feel like hell ... or whatever. There are times where it just ain't working out as planned. There are times I have walked away really pissed off at myself for either not properly preparing or doing something stupid on race day. If I'm being honest, in my case its mostly the stupid thing. Who needs to pace slower than as fast as possible over a 40k bike ride when you have a 10k run that follows? Apparently I do.

Anyway, point is, after most every race we are all likely to have reason to be emotionally charged up. Which is great, but shouldn't get out of control. This, my friend, is where the Post-Race 24-hour Rule comes in. The rule is:

Whatever the outcome - good or bad - you should take 24 hours and really embrace the emotional roller coaster. After 24 hours come to grips with what happened on race day and move forward.

For everyone how the 24 hour window of emotions plays out is as unique as the individual we all are. It could be everything from telling complete strangers on the street what a bad ass you are to sulking over some Ben & Jerry's Americone Dream Ice Cream. Some of us internalize, showing the outside world little of how we truly feel about what went down. Beating your spouse or throwing things at your dog are not allowed. You need to work through your personal stuff, not cause damage to those around you.

After 24 hours it is time to get a broader perspective and move on. Yes, the race was important. You wouldn't be emotional over an outcome that didn't matter, correct? But in a broader sense, just how important was it? Unless you are a professional athlete you didn't lose any prize money. Last time I looked, a marathon PR for literally all but a handful of people will not be a world record. Walking the back half of an Ironman run is never any fun (trust me, been there, done that), but it isn't the end of the world. In fact, every time that has happened (like I said before, I can race stupid) The Queen still loved me and my job was still waiting for me on Monday morning.

No doubt, racing is important to anyone who puts on a race number. I get it and am with you. But racing is (should be) just a part of your life, not the be all, end all. Take some time and reflect on what happened - good or bad - then move on. Keep some perspective. Use the experience to better yourself going forward.

Thanks for reading.

Train hard. Stay focused.
Jon


No comments:

Post a Comment