Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Starting to Run After a Layoff is both Awesome and Horrible

I started running in 1994 as a supplement to the strength training I was doing at the time. Powerlifting was my thing back then, but I did enjoy the few miles I ran each week. Even ran the Chilipepper 5k with Matt that year, mainly for the free chili and beer at the finish line. I forget what I ran it in, but I still have the unwearable, heavy cotton t-shit.

Between then and a few months ago there wasn't a period of more than a week in which I didn't get out and run.  I remember reading an article in Triathlete Magazine by Dave Scott on off-season training where he specifically said to keep running. His basic argument was that if you stop running completely your body would have to rebuild its ability to withstand the impact that running places on the body. I'm sure it wasn't scientifically researched, but the theory made sense to me. Maybe it's because I enjoy to run. Who knows. Either way, even in the off-season I might ship out on swimming or biking, but would make sure I ran 20-30 miles every week.

A few weeks ago I started to run again after a three month layoff. The first run was 10 minutes - doctor's orders. I made it without stopping and without pain. Success!!! Not very fast, but speed wasn't really the point on that Monday morning.

A few days later I tried again with success - fifteen minutes of running (the upper limits of my allowable daily run). Since then I have been able to slowly increase the time/distance of my runs as well as the frequency. Last week I ran three times for a total of 8 miles.

And it was Awesome ...

Rev3 Race Finish, Columbia MD
After the horrendous winter weather we had in Bethlehem, keeping me inside most every day, it has been nice to be back out on the roads running and/or biking on a daily basis. Even on a muggy, humid day like today, just being outside doing what I have done for two decades is a pleasure. Now, more than ever, I find it hard to believe there are so few people out on the roads with me during the early morning hours.

As great as it has been to be back out running it hasn't been all good. Starting up again is essentially starting over from day one ... with a few big differences. The biggest difference is that I am fairly fit from swimming and biking. This is a good thing, but humbling when I run. The body can do what it can right now which is nowhere near what my cardio system could handle. As a result, running is both hard and easy. Hard because the body has to rebuild its ability to run fast(er) and long. Easy because, even when "pushing it," my heart rate can't get up where I would like it to be. Just not able to work hard. All part of the process I guess.

The other issue I have faced is the soreness. That first day back I ran a little over 1 mile. The next day my calves, quads and hamstrings were sore. Back in the day (literally 9 months ago) I could run 20 miles, grab some breakfast and be on my way like nothing happened. Now, one mile and I'm sore for 48 hours. Again, all part of the process.

Back to the awesome: I'm able to run and I will be able to do triathlon again. I've been saying it all along, but now I know it's going to happen ... because it is happening.



Train hard. Stay focused.
Jon


1 comment:

  1. The title of your blog scared me a little...until I realized you meant layoff from running ;-) I am happy to see that you are listening to your body...patience is the challenge! Belief is the other part of the equation...no worries...you will be ready on time for your big race! I know it!!! You look great already....

    ReplyDelete