Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Ironman Training Review: January, 2014

As I noted here, I have not one but two full Ironman races on the schedule this year. Big racing takes some big training, but also a long-term perspective. Fitness is not built overnight, but over days/weeks/months of consistent training. Over the years I have learned that the real work is not very glamorous and, at times, can be quite boring. Yes, there are key workouts  along the way. As anyone who has gone through the prep process knows, those workouts are the exception, not the rule.

The basic periodization of an Ironman training plan is quite simple: Start by building base fitness, ramp up the mileage over time, build specific race fitness, taper into the race. Simple, but not easy.

January 1 was the official start date for my 2014 Ironman training. One of my projects during my downtime in December was to put together a broad plan for the year, using Ironman Coure D'alene on June 29 and Ironman Florida on November 1 as my two "A" races. Any other racing would be done as a compliment to these two races.
D&L Trail - Bethlehem, PA
Winter running in the Lehigh Valley (Towpath at Sand Island)

For January the original plan was to put in some solid miles on the run, building up mileage over the month, build strength on the bike, and strength and stamina in the pool. The total volume would be relatively low. Strength training and core work was also included.

Strength Training: Every year I take a few months and spend some time in the gym with some basic strength exercises. The older we get the more important this becomes. Since I'm getting old, I take it serious. I also take it serious because, although I don't necessarily look like it, I have enjoyed lifting weights for as long as I can remember. The strength focused actually started shortly after the Philly Marathon. During the month of January I deadlifted and squatted more weight than I have in many, many years. I enter February feeling strong.

Swim: For most of the month I kept the weekly yardage in the 8500 yard area, spread out over three swims, with an endurance swim and a speed session each week. After three months of very little swimming, the beginning of the month was a bit of a challenge. My speed was down and longer intervals kinda sucked. By the end of the month all was good and I was back swimming my intervals right where I was at the end of last season. The last week of the month I was in the pool more than originally planned - five times for much higher mileage. More on that below.

Bike: Unlike the last few years, very little of my time in the saddle would be outside. It has been a harsh winter here in NE Pennsylvania. Weekday rides this time of year are always inside (they happen pre-dawn) and weekends have been less than ideal. The limited riding I have done outside has been on the mountain bike, which is a nice change of pace and quite a bit of fun. I'm an old man so I'm not off on crazy trails balling downhill semi-out of control or anything like that. I enter February feeling good about the work I have put in, hitting my volume goal, but with a good chunk of specific work.

Run: Originally, the first few months of 2014 were to be dedicated to higher volume, base run training. A calf strain in mid-December made the planned volume an impossibility. Instead, I build volume over the month, topping out in the mid-30s. This worked fine, but ... and this is a big but ... but there is a knee issue. Not really sure what happened or how it happened, but it did.

Over a few weeks, what appeared to be some normal tendonitis that pops up from time to time was a much different issue. By the end of the month I was hobbling around and not running at all. Something is definitely wrong. I have been to a doctor and will have more when I have a handle on what I am dealing with. Until then we can leave it at I am currently not running due to injury.

Overall: Other than having an injury, I'm pleased with January. My bike feels about right as the swim is exceeding my expectations. The run is a concern right now. Fitness is coming back to where it should be as I am getting stronger. Volume is low and intensity levels are up.

February should be more of the same - strength building on the bike, working on speed and technique in the pool - with a bit more volume. As for the run ... I should have a better idea of what's going on very soon. I am scheduled to run a half marathon in Myrtle Beach, SC in a few weeks which I am highly certain won't be happening. Even if I can run at that point, not sure I will be running enough to go 13.1 miles. It could still happen, but I'm not betting on it.

On another note I have upgraded my tri ride for 2014. I have been riding a Quintana Roo Seduza since 2007. It has been a great bike and I have enjoyed the bike immensely. With many thousands of miles on it I had a choice to make: a major overhaul or buy a new bike. After finding a great deal on a new bike, I purchased a new Quintana Roo Illicito.

Can't wait for the weather to break so I can take her out for a spin.

Train hard. Stay focused.
Jon


No comments:

Post a Comment