Tuesday, January 28, 2014

... that darn treadmill

I don't understand how some people spend most of the winter months indoors. Living in Eastern PA I know it can get cold, wet, slippery, windy, and every other nasty weather you can imagine. Sometimes we get these all at the same time, others at different times during the day. We don't have it as bad as Minneapolis, Minnesota, for example, but it can really be not so good at times.

One of my rules for training is that in the off season - usually from Thanksgiving to January 1 every year - it is ok to avoid lousy training weather if I just don't feel like heading outside. This allows me get a bit of a break and avoid running in a 40 degree rainstorm by either skipping a workout or changing a workout. Once January comes, however, there are no excuses. I will shift workouts to take advantage of what's happening weather-wise ... sane schedule flexibility ... but there is no bagging a workout because conditions aren't ideal. That said, one must have at least a little sanity and, dare I say it, play it smart.

Casa de Soden's Landice 2000
Over the years I have done a limited number of runs on the treadmill, all by necessity. Last year, for example, I ran a grand total of one time (other than a quick transition workout or two) - some intervals - because there was too much snow on the ground to get out the door. And by too much, I mean 5 inches and it was still coming down.

The past few mild winters with not a lot of snow were great. 2014, however, has been a completely different beast with brutal cold, wind, and a whole lot of snow (by Eastern PA standards). Damn you polar vortex!!!

This ... situation ... has forced me inside more than I like. Last week, for example, I had a run on the schedule for Thursday. The day before was snowy and the roads were still a mess. It was 7 degrees, but the ice on the roads is what forced me inside. Pre-dawn running has many advantages, but ice is not one of them. Funny story: the week before we had this 28 degree fog I tried to run in which ended up with me flat on my 44 year old ass, almost crawling to the grass so I could stand back up. Ugh.

I know some people run exclusively on this torture machine and claim to enjoy it but I don't get it. Yes, there's the tv. Yes, it is a controlled environment. I still can't stand it.

Running is an activity that should be done outside. The joy of running is that connection to the world, step-by-step, heart beat by heart beat. You, the road, and your surroundings. Time to think ... time to enjoy those familiar roads. Running on a treadmill is the exact opposite experience - a sterile environment surrounded by other electronic devices with no connection to nature.

Since it's January and there's work to do I've been doing what I have to do. In my world, this means getting on the dreadmill when necessary. It sucks, but what are you going to do. Last time I looked, they don't push the race back a few weeks because of crappy weather Eastern PA had in January and Jon couldn't run outside.

For the first time on a long time I can't wait for warmer weather. No more treadmill; No more bike trainer. In the meantime, just suck it up and get 'er done.

Thanks for  reading.

Train hard. Stay focused.
Jon

No comments:

Post a Comment