Friday, December 13, 2013

Off Season Update

It's been almost one month since I started my off season and things are going well. For once I have decided to embrace it and can honestly say that I have lost some fitness, gained a little weight, and caught up on the sleep I had been neglecting. I have also gotten some of the stuff I had been putting off completed ... but not nearly as much as I (or The Queen) would like.

Weavers Way Bulk Bin Maddness
Quick side note: I did have the time to head down to Philly last week for a gathering of local co-ops as a representative of the Bethlehem Food Co-op and visit the Weavers Way Grocery Food Coop. Neat little store with really, really awesome bulk bin section (which was really the entire upstairs). The selection was amazing. Can't wait to get our store up and running in Bethlehem. If you are interested in keeping your food spend local, supporting your community farmers, and/or higher quality food for your family, you should check out our website, come to a meeting, then become a member.

The one big problem I have this time of year - even when I'm faking an off season - is a lack of focus. I love my routine, which means I fall apart when I don't have a clear, well-packed agenda when I wake in the morning. But maybe it's a good thing that I'm as relaxed about it as I am ... maybe that's the point.

Physically I'm feeling pretty good. Most all of the nagging little things have gone away and the legs have some life in them. The one little hitch has been the strain in my right shoulder, a result of moving some furniture last week. While it sucks, at least it happened in December and not January.

I've also been enjoying my time back in the weight room. Yes, there are some who feel that strength and power needs to be developed specifically for the bike or the run, which is an argument for another time. What I will say is, I believe in the power of straight-up strength training, the basic, multi-joint exercises variety. No better way to get stronger and add power than some good old fashion squatting and deadlifting. As a side benefit, both these exercises, when performed correctly, are probably the best way to build core strength.

Anyway, my training has been sticking with the plan and rules I laid out here. I haven't raced since Philly and don't plan on racing until February. Mileage has been low as has the intensity. And yes, I have been training outside in the cold weather, caught the snow storm on Tuesday (both by choice), but I have avoided the cold rain and have avoided riding outside for weeks.

Swimming has been completely put on hold due to the shoulder strain. I really haven't been consistent in the pool since September, lacking motivation, so this really wasn't a big deal ...until it was a big deal. Funny how this works. Now that being out of the pool isn't by choice, the motivation to swim has started to come back. I'm now thinking of the injury/timeout of the water as a good thing.

Starting this week my training volume will slowly increase into the new year. My plan is to put in a solid run base starting in January, so, by design, the next few weeks will see most of the increased volume go to the run. Any biking I've done has either been on my $400 mountain bike, in a spin class (believe it or not), or some easy spinning on the trainer. Hopefully I will be back in the pool next week for some short, easy yardage.

As usual, we are planning on welcoming in the new year by running South Mountain on December 31. I think this is the 12th time, maybe. Always a lot of fun, with the added benefit of knowing just how out of shape you've become over the holiday season. The run is about 10 miles, starting at Sand Island. The loop takes you over the mountain via Hayes Street, through the Stabler arena area, then back over on Mountain Drive South. If you are local and are interested in the deets let me know.

Finally, Mrs. Claus had her annual visit to Casa de Soden with the annual cookie delivery. And when I say cookies, I'm talking 86 varieties made from scratch, freshly baked two days ago. I question my ability to make a batch of cookies from a mix and she does all of this. Always appreciated at home, then by the Magellan Financial crew at work.


Train hard. Stay focused.
Jon

No comments:

Post a Comment