Monday, November 25, 2013

Embracing the Off Season (or How to Not Screw Up Next Year Today)


One week ago I ran my last race of the year. I put a lot of work into it and, even though it reach all my goals, I did ok. In contrast to the days and weeks leading up to that race, this week has been the exact opposite of the last 10+ months. Since January I have been concerned with things like run volume, bike power, and my stroke in the pool. This week I was more concerned with sleep ... and my couch ... and food ... lots of food ... different food ... not always the "best" food. Did I mention food?

Yeah, it's the off season!!! This is the time of year where training takes a back seat. It is not just a physical break, but also a mental break. Will I get "out of shape?" Absolutely. Do I care? No. In fact, more so this year than in the past, I am embracing being "out of shape." 
 
Did I mention taking a break from training is oh so important for long-term racing success? Well it is.

The number one reason endurance athletes don't take an extended off season is a lack of true self confidence. (see the end of this post for a definition of the three types of self confidence) That's right. If you are the type of person who trains through the holidays with your "A" race 10 months out because, you know, you have to get ready for that big "A" race in 10 months, or you don't want to "get fat," or whatever it is you tell yourself, you have some thinking to do.

If you are reading this and it feels like I am calling you out, I assure you I am not, but you should take that as a sign. This has been a problem of mine in the past, although it looked a little different than most people. I would cut back on my training. When I thought of myself as a runner I would back off to base mileage of approx. 30 miles each week. Once I entered the world of multisport it was the same, just a bit more complicated. Sounds reasonable, and it was, with one teeny, tiny problem.

See, I would race during my downtime. Nothing long. Nothing that would appear to be out of the ordinary. A 5k here and a 5 miler there. No big deal I would tell myself. Running a 5k or a 5 miler, after all, isn't such a bad thing in and off itself. But reality is, those small little races (and the short hard set in the pool) would kick my ass more than I ever cared to admit out loud.

It would go something like this: After taking an easy week I would race a 5 miler and clock a good time (for me). Then I would ache for a week. What this did was nullify any healing I did the previous week and lose another week of true recovery by having to get over the damage from racing.

Sometimes I'm such an idiot.

Right about now you are probably saying "that's great Jon, but I don't need to take time off from training. Sounds to me like you are just getting old and lazy. I've got big things coming up next year and have no time to just sit around for weeks on end."

The off season is NOT about being lazy. As counter intuitive as it sounds, for a Type-A triathlete doing what needs to be done this time of year is hard to do, and can be hard work.

So what is the off season about?

1. Letting the body heal itself. After 10 or 11 months of swim/bike/run the body is a little beat up. Or a lot beat up. Taking some time to focus on losing that niggle in your knee or the tightness in your shoulders will allow you to be better next year and hopefully keep a small problem from becoming a major issue.

2. Taking a mental break. Racing, and the training to race, takes a lot of mental focus. It can become consuming. And the bigger the event, the greater the mental burden. While I find it awesome at the time, if you don't take a break from it burn out is inevitable. Much better to take some time to refresh and refocus than to hate the sport you love.

3. Get other stuff done. You know what I'm talking about. Long weekend rides and runs are not conducive to a big social schedule. Hang out with your friends and family who have supported your crazy over the last 11 months. Get some stuff done around the house. Read a non-sports related book. Watch some tv.

4. Get strong. A long season can take its toll on your body. If you race short course you need to be strong to go fast. If you race long course you need to be strong so your body doesn't break down. Hit the weight room, try some yoga, or maybe find your local crossfit box.



Not only is it ok to take some time away from serious training, it is in your best interest to take the time away. Time away from serious endurance training will help you set yourself up for better results next year. The mind and body will heal while you build some extra strength. Do it right and your body will feel real good come January 1 and you desire to train again will be high

Later this week I'll post up my thoughts on what I'll be doing the final six weeks of the year.

Train hard. Stay focused.
Jon


Three types of self confidence:
1. Temporary Self-Confidence: This is based on your recent past performance. You feel good because you ran a great 5k or hit your times on last weekend's bike interval workout. It is fleeting and only sticks around until your next not-so-great race or training session. Think about how you feel coming off a PR.

2. False Self-Confidence: You've seen this before. The guy who talks big and poses like a big shot. And then he gets on the bike ... and quickly flys off the back of the peloton .. Needless to say, you aren't impressing anyone and you're only fooling yourself.

3. True Self-Confidence: This isn't based on recent performance or impressing people, but a sense of great inner trust in who you are, what you are doing, and the people around you who are helping you be successful. True self confidence allows you to be resilient and trust what you are doing.


No comments:

Post a Comment