Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Week Review: August 4, 2013

"Sometimes the truth isn't good enough, sometimes people deserve more. Sometimes people need to have their faith rewarded." - Batman


The week in review is a look at what I have been up to in training as well as a (sometimes) look into the other side of my life as well as links to some of what I have found interesting on the interwebs.

Training Update:
Another solid week of training in the books this week, without the drama from last week. In case you missed it, you can read about it here. For the first time in more than three months I had a week with more than 40 miles of running, including a number of good runs. Started the week right with 8+ miles with G-boy, who was passing through town and ended it with a 15-mile long run on Saturday morning. In between I got some good "junk" miles in and a fast-paced transition run mid-week.

Well ... maybe not climbing like this, but a lot of climbing for sure!!!
I backed off the bike a bit this week, but did get plenty of climbing in when I did ride. The Wednesday night Steelman bike course, and a hilly long ride on Sunday morning/afternoon. I also hit the pool three times.
group ride was a small group this week, but hitting the hills always fun. Saturday I rode with Cassie down on the

Sunday is the Steelman Triathlon down at Lake Nockamixon so this week will be light.  It  is a race I enjoy and always try and perform well, but it tends to be more of a check on my current fitness than an "A" race. I am am trying something a bit different for this race with a slight modification of my normal "B" race taper. Still, I have some goals for where I want/hope to be on Sunday morning.

Right now I am a little unsure about how I will perform. Earlier in the year the calf strain had me spending a lot of time on the bike. Like, a whole lot. And my bike felt great. Now, with a 70.3 and a marathon on the Fall schedule (more on that in another post), I have been dialing up the run mileage. My run is feeling better, but not yet there. At the same time, my bike feels like it is suffering a bit. Kinda a weird place I'm in right now. Gotta have faith that a few easy days at the end of the week helps bring it all together.

On a More Personal Note ...

Life is back to a nice, boring routine. No concerts at the stadium. No big nights out. No Musikfest.  Just some dinner with The Queen on Saturday night at our favorite sushi place, Hana Sushi.This trip up to Nazareth was not the usual, however.

We get up there and there are roads blocked off everywhere. Apparently, while Musikfest is happening down in Bethlehem Nazareth has its own little music festival happening as well. There were a number of stages set up as well as a guy singing some country music on he porch of the Prudential Home Services (I swear I'm not making this up). We had to walk a few blocks but had no problem getting a table. Because who wants sushi when you can eat a pork sandwich on Belvidere Street.

Interesting Stuff From the Interwebs:

Mark Sisson over at Mark's Daily Apple wrote an open letter to doctors that is worth a read. He calls for all the right things. (Mark's Daily Apple)

Modern agriculture techniques can lead to problems .. one of them is the rootworm. Screwing with nature has its consequences. (NPR)

Running shoe technology is always changing and trendy. The minimalist trend began with the Vibrum a few years back. Max cushioning looks like the newest thing, courtesy of the Hoka One One. The big boys are catching on with Brooks launching the new Transcend and Altra's Olympus. Runblogger does a nice job discussing the new shoes with a look at the new shoes. (Runblogger)



And our video of the week is Hopeless Wanderer by Mumford & Sons, featuring Ed Helms, Justin Bateman, Jason Sudeikis and Will Forte as, well, Mumford & Sons. 


No comments:

Post a Comment