Thursday, August 29, 2013

Week Review: August 25, 2013




The week in review is a look at what I have been up to in training as well as a (sometimes) look into the other side of my life as well as links to some of what I have found interesting on the interwebs. This week is about how I crashed and burned ...


Training Update:

So this was the week I finally dug myself into a bit of a training hole. The legs quit on me this past Sunday on my long ride ... which ended up as a not so long 51 mile trek. Not a good feeling. Needless to say this week's training will be much different as I attempt to dig myself out and start feeling good again as soon as possible.

I have a few things going on with my training that need to be balanced out. First, I have been focusing on increased run mileage and stress. With the Philly Marathon on tap in November, I have to balance out preparing for that as well as a few Fall triathlons. As my default position is to do too much, multiple race goals can cause "problems" for me. And by problems, I mean digging my own hole and jumping right into it.

So what happened? In the past, the big weekend is something I have used successfully. I ended the week with a few big days, back-to-back-to-back, much like I have done in previous training cycles. Transition workout and a swim on Friday, a long run and recovery ride on Saturday, then a long ride on Sunday. That is quite a bit of work, but I don't think that is the root of the problem. I think it has to do with what came before this weekend.

The stress put on the body comes from both total volume (mileage) as well as intensity (speed work, hill work, etc.). Looking back, I have increased mileage while adding in more hilly runs and rides. The combination was just a bit much for me at this time. Looking back at what I have done for the past few weeks it is obvious ... now.

Live and learn, right?


Interesting Stuff From the Interwebs:

I loves me some Greek yogurt. Here is a good look at the different brands and how they compare. (Eating Well With Gina)

Mark Sisson on what he does to recover from his workouts. Nothing too over-the-top, but a good breakdown of recovery techniques. (Mark's Daily Apple)

Running a marathon is quite the experience. Even if you are in top shape it is easy to make mistakes and not perform to your potential. Here is a nice piece by Running Times to help you solve your own marathon puzzle. (Running Times)


Music Video of the Week: A little Grouplove and their video for Ways to Go




Video of the Week: Is there any other video that could be here this week? Miley "don't call me Hannah Montana" Cyrus at the VMAs.



No comments:

Post a Comment