Monday, July 22, 2013

Week Review: July 22, 2013

The week in review is a look at what I have been up to in training as well as a (sometimes) look into the other side of my life as well as links to some of what I have found interesting on the interwebs.

Training Update:

The last two weeks have been a move back into a short base period with lower intensity but greater volume. As I write this I have tired legs and somehow not totally dehydrated. Thankfully the heat/humidity is forecast to be breaking and we will be back to just the normal July heat.

After 6 weeks without running due to injury, followed by the Philly Tri, my run training had been lacking. Starting to rectify this situation with two solid weeks of mileage. Not a lot of speed, but starting to rebuild the base. Bike volume is back to normal levels and I did a long transition workout yesterday (Sunday) for the first time in a long time. Nothing like heading out to run at mid-day in July!!! At least the humidity was "only" 46%.

In the pool I like to try some different swim sets from time to time, usually "borrowing" a set from a blog or other online source. On Thursday I had a meeting with the Bethlehem Food Co-op and couldn't make Masters at Westend. With the heat we have been having the water there has been in the high 80s, fine for lounging around, not the most pleasant for hard intervals. Fortunately, I am also a member at LA Fitness and I hit the pool in Allentown for a new swim set in 80 degree water. It was a nice change of pace. Anyway, I did the following main set:

100Y, 200Y, 300Y, 400Y
100Y, 200Y, 300Y
100Y, 200Y
100Y

RI: 100 on 10 sec, 200 on 20 sec, 300 on 30 sec, 400 on 40 sec

The original workout can be found here.

Swam the set consistently, or as consistent as possible, losing 1-2 sec. per 100 toward the end of the set. Honestly do not think I went out too fast, just missing a little bit of fitness right now. 

On a more personal note, spent the afternoon and evening back in my hometown at my cousin Helen's wedding. Held at Casa de Bud, this was a laid back, outdoor affair. Food was good as was the company. Best part of the evening was the band. Well, not so much a band as it was Billy's (the groom) buddies. See, the groom is a musician who plays the Ocean County, NJ scene, with some really talented friends. Ended up hearing some great tunes. My personal favorite was their version of Rosalita. Congrats to Helen and Billy!!!

Told you it was laid back wedding!!!

Interesting Stuff From the Interwebs:

In my real life I am a partner in Magellan Financial, a financial services business in Allentown, PA. Our third quarter market outlook can be found here.

Dave McGillivray, race director of the Boston Marathon, will be speaking at SteelStacks on Saturday, October 19 as part of the Runner's World Half Marathon and Festival. (LV Running Scene)

We spend all kinds of time worrying about training, but not so much about recovery. Maybe we should give  it some thought, because, you know, it might do us some good. (Running Shoe Guru)

And for your listening pleasure: The Boss at Wembley Stadium earlier this year playing Rosalita (YouTube)






No comments:

Post a Comment