Friday, July 5, 2013

Mid-Season Training Break

Last year I tried something new with my training - the mid-season training break. At 43 years old I'm no spring chicken. With years of pounding on my legs, I was finding that by the time my late season races came around, my body was really beat up. The result: some pretty mediocre performances.

Not being the sharpest tool in the toolbox, it took me a few years of this to figure out what was happening. What was even harder was following through with the solution. See, I have never really believed in the need for rest and recovery. Yes, I know it is necessary, but I have lived in denial of this fact for years. See, in my world, I should be able to work my ass off day after day after day and just get fitter ... I have come to realize we don't live in my world.

The mid-season training break is exactly what it sounds like - a hiatus from "real" training. In my version, I bring the volume of training down AND the intensity of the training. This means no long bike rides, no long runs, and no intervals (except at Masters Swimming, where I generally will do the workout but seat myself back from where I normally would swim). I will also try and run/ride flatter courses than I would normally seek out (have to keep it easy, after all). The idea is to really allow the legs a chance to recover and heal.

To take what is essentially a training hiatus is a big step for anyone who suffers from "Type-A Personality Syndrome." While it may make rationale sense, it not only doesn't feel right (I need to do more, more, MORE!!!!), it takes a lot of belief in your personal fitness level. Because, you know, if I don't do those hill repeats I'll never be able to climb a hill again and my fitness will totally disappear.

The first time I did this I did it based on what I knew should logically/rationally work. In other words, I took a huge leap of faith. Last year I set my race season up with my "A" race being Ironman 70.3 Augusta on September 30. The first part of the season I built up to racing Ironman 70.3 Eagleman and the Philly Triathlon (Olympic) in June, followed by two very easy weeks of training. Over the Summer I raced a few shorter distances, building to Augusta. These races mattered, but only as part of the build for Augusta. The goal was a PR at my "A" race and solid, specific performances at the other races.

Long story short ... it worked. I did well at both the NJ State Triathlon and Steelman Triathlon, leading to a 13+ minute PR in Augusta. I believe it worked for a couple of reasons.

First, even though I took 2 weeks of downtime, in reality it is more like 6 weeks until my training is back full tilt. I knew it would be a mistake to just rev it back up immediately after the forced rest. After all, I'm not 23 or even 33 years old anymore. Even  though it was coming from a higher level of fitness and training, I built up my training in the next few weeks like I do in January, gradually increasing both duration and intensity.

Second, because I gradually built my training up again, I was able to really hit it hard in the 4-week build block for Augusta. My legs were good. Mentally I was fresh. Key workouts went well. My fitness improved.

Third, my legs were fresh for race day. Not having 9 months of residual fatigue in my legs made the two week taper work like it should. So good, in fact, that I thought I peaked too early, as my legs felt so good race week.

What is the downside of the MSTB - actually doing it. Seriously. Taking a break at the end of the year, after my last triathlon or a late season marathon is easy. For years I have basically taken a good month and let the body heal. To back off when things are going good, the weather is warm, the days are long is counter-intuitive to me.

Now's the time I should be on the bike until 8:30 pm. There is light at 5:30 am, perfect for a morning run. And the pool is outside. Yet, I forced myself to take that break.

And again this year I am doing the same ... right now ... it's killing me all this rest. Currently I'm in the middle of week #2 of unstructured training. I've done some running, biking and swimming. Heck, I even went on a real vacation, sleeping as much in 2 days as I do in some weeks ... I miss my bike ... but I stick with it because it is better than bombing my Fall races because I was too hard-headed to take some downtime.

If you are looking for some other thoughts on this subject, both Pro Triathlete Jesse Thomas and the crew at Endurance Corner have some thoughts on the matter.

Did I say I miss my bike?

Train hard. Stay focused.
Jon

No comments:

Post a Comment