Thursday, April 9, 2015

Training Review: March, 2015

So far 2015 has been about three things - strengthening the body after knee surgery in 2014, resetting the mind to be able to stay fresh and engaged with my training/racing, and helping some of my training partners reach their 2015 goals.

One of the reasons I became a self-trained triathlete was because I would do whatever I was told to do for that week. Didn't matter what the legs felt like, had a nagging little injury, or if I even felt like doing it for that matter, if it had been written it must get completed. The problem was not Coach, the problem was me.

The largest change I made had nothing to do with volume or intensity, but instead with time frames. Everything I did previously was based on a 7 day week and what I needed to get done over that set period of time. Today I think about what I want to accomplish each month. By changing my way of thinking I can push a workout from Saturday to next Tuesday without thinking I just blew my week. Weekly workload can look vastly different from week-to-week, but who cares? The point (at least for me) is not to pump out miles for the sake of miles, but to build fitness and get as fast as I can come race day.

The month of March was about staying healthy, getting stronger and even a short race. These first few months of the year have been lower volume by design. Without any serious racing on the horizon there has been no reason to physically and mentally bury myself. Here, then, is how March shook out:

Swim: If there is one area that I have slacked off it is in the pool. Most weeks I have been getting in 3 swims. Most. I have intended to get an extra session in on the weekend just about every week which has not happened since early January. I have also thought about getting to the pool before work, but that hasn't happened either as I really do not like the early AM swim. Bottom line is, if I were to race today my swim would not be up to where it has been.

I am perfectly OK with this. In past years I have spend a lot of time getting my swim times to a respectable level. At just about any triathlon my swim times come in around the top 10%. I did not grow up a swimmer and do not want to put in the work needed to get to the next level. Coming into 2015 my plan has not been to emphasize the swim and I have held to that up to this point.
The Complex Triathlete - Jon Soden
Will most definitely will be spending some time
riding on this road.

Bike: Weather conditions have made riding outside just about impossible since the beginning of the year. Thus, riding equals the trainer. After taking a few easier months, in March I started to push the intensity level on those trainer sessions, limiting the sheer volume of work. I have never been a big fan of mindless hours of indoor riding. If I can make it 90 minutes 2 or 3 times in a winter it is a lot. I am not pro triathlete Andy Potts who does all of his bike training inside. Traffic aside, I enjoy being outdoors on two wheels.

The time I spent on the trainer in March was a productive combination of strength work, power work, and muscular endurance sessions. The last two weekends the weather broke enough for me to get outside for rides in the 20-25 mile range. Entering April I feel good about the progress I have made on the bike.

Run: If there is one area of my racing that can be improved on it is most definitely my run. In both local and regional triathlons I have been able to hang with the better athletes up to T2. From there ... hasn't exactly been what I think I am ultimately capable of. In the past, my run training has been more focused on long distance endurance than speed. Always figured this would get me where I wanted to go while limiting the stress on the body.

Warm Hearts 5k - Bethlehem PA
Warm Hearts 5k
I have decided to take a different approach in 2015, concentrating on shorter distances and speed work. The big news here is I have been making it out to the track on a regular basis. This is a big deal for me. I have never been a fan of the track. Being that I am a fan of trying to improve I will continue to go back and see where it gets me.

Racing: For the first time since December 2014 I signed up for and completed a race. The Warm Hearts 5k on March 14th gave me the opportunity to see where I was at after a laid back off-season. Not a bad effort, running a 19:47, placing 5th overall and 1st in Men 40-49. My race report can be found here.

Overall: A good month of training that gives me a good place to start some more serious training.

What's April All About?: The month of April will be about starting to build some volume into my training while continuing to stress strength and muscular endurance. In the pool I need to get more serious and stop blowing off workouts. The goal is to get 3 days of swimming in each week and bump up the yardage. On the bike I have to start riding hillier terrain and increasing my long rides. You can simulate hills somewhat on the trainer, for surer, but it still isn't the same as actually riding up a hill. Speed work will continue to be my focus on the run.

I have two races planned as well. On April 12th I'll be racing the Emmaus 4 Miler with The Mayor and The Queen. There will be no taper just a good hard run and another test of where I am. Then on April 26th I'll be once again racing The St. Luke's Lehigh Valley Half Marathon. After a winter of low run mileage and not a whole lot of long runs in me the main goal here is to run a 1:30, or a 6:52/mile pace. Hopefully I'm not being too aggressive with this goal.


Train hard. Stay focused.
Jon

No comments:

Post a Comment