Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Week Review: August 11, 2013


The week in review is a look at what I have been up to in training as well as a (sometimes) look into the other side of my life as well as links to some of what I have found interesting on the interwebs.

Training Update:

This week was a recovery for a number of reasons. After a few weeks of higher volume, the legs were starting to feel a bit too heavy. In the past I have found that bad things happen if I don't listen to this signal from my body. Push through, the body rebels. I decided this was not a good option. And with the Steelman Triathlon on tap on Sunday, lighter volume with short bouts of intensity was the theme for the week. Overall I logged approximately half the volume I did each of the prior two weeks.

Source: A. Fiorini
Steelman is a race I have done often and know the course well. It is not the fastest track, but a good race to use as a fitness test. I went into the race with simple goals - swim solid, bike as I can, run at my limit ... and win my age group, hit a top 5 bike split and finish in the top 10 overall. I don't have high expectations, right?

The good news is all my goals were technically met. I was 9th overall, had the 5th fastest bike split, ran a solid race, and won the Male 40-44 age group.  In actuality I was 3rd AG as two of the top four finishers were my age. It is what it is and you can't control who shows up. My official time was 2:14:08. I'll post up a race report in the next few days.


On a More Personal Note ...

Saturday night The Queen was down at Musikfest and Ke$ha on the main stage, giving me some time to kill. Being in my pre-race prep at this point, I spent some quality time sitting on the couch watching some preseason football. Specifically, the rebroadcast of Friday night's Lions-Jets game (games wasn't on live here in PA). It's a new season and new expectations ... although as a Jets fan, you know, it ain't exactly like being a Giants, Steelers or Cowboys fan. High expectations is something along the line of 10-6 with a playoff game. After last season's disaster, that seems like a big stretch.

Overall I was encouraged by the play of the first team on both sides of the ball. Marty Mornhinweg is the new offensive coordinator and it is a big step in the right direction. The Jets were able to move the ball, even with their top two running backs sidelined with injuries. The schemes were getting guys open. The offense looks more to the skill set of Mark Sanchez ... but he has to figure out how to NOT turn over the ball. Dude is killing me!!! Rookie QB Geno Smith looks like he could be the real deal.

The defense looked as I expected - nice play from the front seven with a new look in the secondary. Unlike the last few years the front seven were able to get pressure on the QB. With the trade of Revis to Tampa Bay, the days of shutting down one side of the field are over, making the play up front more important. There were some miscommunication in the secondary, but nothing unexpected this early in the preseason.


An encouraging start.


Interesting Stuff From the Interwebs:

I've been contemplating a power meter for my bike(s) for quite some time and, specifically, I have been waiting for the Garmin Vector pedal-based system to hit the market. Finally, it will be coming to market and here is the most in depth review review you will find until Ray does his truly in depth review. (DC Rainmaker)

Jeff Bezos wants Amazon.com to dominate the world. Very interesting interview and look at the disruption Amazon is causing and could cause in the future. (Fast Company)

Music Video of the Week: I first heard The Limosines a few years ago with their debut song, Very Busy People, which was stuck in my head for weeks on end. The have a new album out and a new song, Love is a Dog From Hell




 YouTube Video of the Week: Ever try doing a 1-leg squat. Not the easiest thing to do. Every try it with 315 on the bar?

No comments:

Post a Comment