Thursday, April 2, 2015

An Open Letter to Car Drivers from a Cyclist

Source

Spring is here. Of the many things this means, baseball players will be heading North to begin their season, flowers will soon bloom, and many more cyclists and runners will be populating the Lehigh Valley's roads.  And so it begins, another year of battles between the motor vehicles and the bicyclists who use the roads. It happens every year.

Before I get into the meat of this post I want to make a few things perfectly clear. First, its is completely legal to ride a bike on the road, despite the thinking of some. Related to this point is the reality that it is not legal for me to ride on a sidewalk, which totally makes sense as sidewalks are designed for pedestrians. Do you really want me blowing past you at 20 mph on a 3 ft wide sidewalk?

Second, I do not need a license to ride my bike. Some people see this as reason to keep me from using the roads. In fact, according to PA State law, Title 75 (Vehicle Code) Pertaining to Pedalcycles),  "(i)n Pennsylvania, a bicycle is considered a vehicle and, as such, is governed by a general set of rules (common to all vehicles) and a specific set of rules designed for bicycles)." Source

Finally, I don't hate cars. I am not a bike commuter and I do not believe that we should all get rid of our motor vehicles. As a matter of fact, I have one that I drive almost every day of the year. That said, I really, REALLY, enjoy riding my bike as much as I can, usually logging more than 5,000 miles on two wheels every year.

With that out of the way, the point I would like to make is this: The ongoing feud between cyclists and automobiles needs to stop.

So for those of you non-cyclists out there, here's what you need to know:

All competent cyclists HATE the few asshole riders, just like you do

You know who I'm talking about. The guys who ride three abreast or run through every single stop sign for no good reason. Or the bike commuter who rides down the middle of the car lane at 15 mph just to prove some point that only makes sense to him. You need to understand that the vast majority of the cyclists out there are not "that guy." In fact, while I know "that guy" is out there, I do not know anyone who is "that guy." And if I did I would tell him what an ass he really is.

But even a competent cyclist makes an error now and again

Have I ever rolled through a stop sign or had a momentary lapse while pedaling down the road? Absolutely. But, let's turn that around for a moment. Can you honestly say that you have never rolled through a stop sign or broke the speed limit? Better yet, when is the last time you took your eyes off the road to scold a child or change the radio station? And please don't get me started on phone usage while driving.

There is a difference between you in your car and me on my bike. If I screw up while riding a bicycle it could result in great harm or possibly death. If you screw up - be it cutting me off to make a left hand turn or texting while driving - it could STILL result in great harm or possibly death. The problem I have with this situation is I am the one in harm's way in both cases.

I want to stay as far to the right as I can, but sometimes it is not possible

When you ride a bike you have a much different understanding of the roads than you do when you are driving a car. In many areas there just isn't enough (or any) shoulder space. Riding right up against the curb or grass leaves no room for error or a wind gust so we have to maintain some space on our right. Not to mention the gravel you take for granted, which could cause me to easily hit the ground.

You just have to trust me when I say that I want to be as far away from your vehicle while not jeopardizing my own safety.

I want you to be able to see me 

Have you ever noticed the bight, some might call them obnoxious bike kits cyclists wear? Much easier to see than a black or grey jacket that blends into the background. And that is the point. When I am out on my bike I make sure that what I have on makes me as visible as possible to those coming at me from both directions. If I am out before the sun is up or may be out at dusk I likely have some sort of reflective gear AND lights on the front and back of my bike. If you have found those lights annoying in the past, maybe you should reconsider. If it allows you to see me and me to be seen, it isn't annoying, it is safe.

lights at night; yield to motorists when appropriate; choose correct lanes when entering an intersection; not ride more than 2 riders abreast; stay as far to the right as reasonable for the road conditions.

Roads aren't in great shape

Getting back to that gravel, right now there is an extraordinary amount of it as a result of the harsh winter we just had and the quick road patching many municipalities have recently completed. In a car you think nothing of it because when you ride over it it has zero impact on how you drive. Again, on a bike that patch of gravel you don't even see could put me on the ground in front of your tires.

A bigger problem is the actual physical condition of many of our roads. After a hard winter there are many more pothole and what could best be described as road craters on even the best roads. Unfortunately, many municipalities do not spend the money it takes to keep roads in good condition. For those of you who live in Northampton County, PA you can check out two great examples - the mess known as Brodhead Road (between Township Line Road and Rt. 191) and Hanoverville Road (between Jacksonville Road and Rt. 512).

Want to help me and my fellow cyclists stay to the right while riding in your town? Call your local politicos and tell then to fix the damn roads.

The 4-ft rule

On April 1, 2012 it became illegal in the State of Pennsylvania to pass a cyclists without maintaining a 4 foot buffer between car and bicycle. The motor vehicle is allowed to legally cross the yellow line while passing, but if it is not safe to pass is required to slow down. As a cyclists and a car owner this makes total and complete sense to me.

In all seriousness, for the 10 seconds in travel time you might save by waiting to pass me, is it really worth the risk?

_____

Any time I am out on the roads - on my bike or in my car - I am looking for the experience to be a safe one. For those of you who do not ride I hope this gives you a better understanding of what it is like to be out there exposed on two wheels. If I do something that looks stupid, or even assholish, there may be a good, legitimate reason for my actions. There is also the chance that I simply made a mistake, and for that I apologize. Like you, I'm human. Unfortunately for me, a mistake made by either of us puts me, not you, in harms way.

In the end what is more important than getting to your destination as fast as possible or my workout is the safety of everyone on the road. Safety comes from understanding and commitment to following the rules of the road, while always staying aware of the surroundings.


Thanks for reading.

Train hard. Stay focused.
Jon

Resources:

PA Vehicle Laws

PA Bicycle Riders Manual

PA Passes law requiring 4 ft zone while passing a bicycle 

Vehicle Safety Tips from JustDrivePA.com:

1. When approaching or passing a bicyclist, slow down to a safe and prudent speed.

2. After you have passed a bicycle, do not slow down or stop quickly. Vehicle brakes are more powerful than a bicycle's, and you could be responsible for causing a crash.

3. Do not sound your horn close to bicyclists, unless you must do so to avoid a crash."

Riding Safety Tips for Cyclists

1. Use lights at night

2. Yield to motorists when appropriate

3. Choose correct lanes when entering an intersection

4. Do not ride more than 2 riders abreast

5. Stay as far to the right as reasonable for the road conditions.


No comments:

Post a Comment