Friday, September 13, 2013

Week Review: September 8, 2013



The week in review is a look at what I have been up to in training as well as a (sometimes) look into the other side of my life as well as links to some of what I have found interesting on the interwebs. This week started with a Labor Day 10k and ended with some long work on the weekend, and a week #1 victory by the Jets.


Training Update:

Sometimes a race is more of a training run than a race. A few months ago The Queen and I signed up for the Saucon Rail Trail 10k, a race that takes place on Labor Day. As I am training for a 1/2 Ironman in early October, training was a priority, so I ran the race on tired legs after a long weekend of training. The weather was less than ideal (90% humidity), but whatever. All things considered I did ok, running an official 43:26 and placing 27th overall and 3rd AG40-44. I held it together on tired legs, something that should help come 10/6. Just as important, the race was well organized, had good swag, a nice food spread, and a good looking cotton t-shirt. This race is quickly becoming one of the gems of the local scene.

The rest of the week was typical - masters swim, interval work on the bike and run - followed by my longest training run of the year on Saturday. That run, happily, went as well as could be expected. The pace was steady through 16 miles, at which point I was able to drop the pace to a few seconds per mile slower than my desired marathon race pace. I held that pace without struggle, plenty of energy left in the tank when we stopped. A nice confidence boost.


Let's Talk About the NY Jets:

If you didn't know, I'm a season ticket holder for one of the most frustrating NFL teams. I have been for 5 years now and probably will be for life. It isn't as bad as you may think. See, unlike a Cowboys fan, or a Steelers fan I don't feel entitled to 12+ wins and a home playoff game. And unlike a Raiders fan, I'm not living in some delusional past thinking my team is going to have long-term greatness again.

No, as a Jets fan I'm realistic. I hope to not use the phrase "same old Jets" and see 7 or 8 wins this year. If Geno Smith develops as we all hope he will  maybe ... let's cross that road when we get there. I said the same thing a few years back about Sanchez and you see where that got us!!!

I think it's time for all of us to get a jersey with
a current player's number on it.
So this past Sunday was opening day and our annual get together with some college friends. Mike has tickets below me on the 100 level (I'm in section 203B) and we always plan one game where we bring the brides, do a little tailgating, and catch the game. Fortunately, this year brought an almost picture perfect day.

As for the game, we left happy with a victory, relieved to see Geno play well in his pro debut, and encouraged by the play of the defense.

Geno was poised when he needed to be. My favorite play was one in which he threw the ball away  ... 6 rows into the stands. Much different than Sanchez who, in the same situation, would either hold the ball too long, force something, or take a sack.

Defensively we were able to get pressure on the quarterback, stop a very good running back, and hold Tampa to 17 points. Good to see the aggressive Rex back calling the defensive plays, with the personnel upfront to get it done (even as Wilkerson didn't have a great day). Ironically, the corners were the problem, giving up a number of big plays.

And, of course, there was some sideline entertainment from the Flight Crew and the new drumline called the Aviators.
(Source: NYJets.com)



Interesting Stuff From the Interwebs:

In case you missed it, I'm really pissed off at Competitor Group for cutting off elite athlete funding in order to boost bottom line profits. (The Complex Triathlete)

A nice story on my friend Cassie over at Runners World

A discussion on race day nutrition and how to get it right (Training Peaks)

Running great and coach of the Oregon Project, Alberto Salazar, on his training philosophy (Kinetic Revolution)


Music Video of the Week:  Trinity by Paper Tongues is a few years old but a great tune that just popped up again on my iPod.



Video of the Week: Apparently stress will only kill you if you believe it will.



No comments:

Post a Comment