Saturday, June 15, 2013

Run Update, Thoughts on Philly Tri

On Monday morning I was back out there running this week after 6 weeks of dealing with a calf injury.Only went 3 miles, slowly, but I was running. Wednesday I went a bit further. Friday I did 5+on the road with some small hills and 10 miles this morning on the towpath. Not ready to say I'm back 100%, but racing Philly (now called TriRock Philly Tri) next weekend is a definite. I said race, not complete.

Yes, we really will be swimming in the Schuylkill River.
The big question now is, how do I go about this. Without 6 weeks away from running it would be simple - go all out. The variable I need to consider is how much work on the swim and bike is enough to run and not blow up. Or not blow up too much. I know I can run a 10k off the bike ... right now I'm not sure how much of a beating I can put on my legs and still run a descent 10k.

My default is to just go balls out on the swim and the bike, hoping for the best on the run. It's only 10k and blowing up would only give me 20-30 minutes of real suck at the end.Racing conservatively would have me hold back at least on the bike a bit to give me the best chance of a running and not blowing. There is always the middle ground. Maybe go into the run with the idea of getting progressively faster until I'm where I can go.

Hummmm............

As for the early morning runs,it was nice to be back out there again this week.

Train hard. Stay focused.
Jon


No comments:

Post a Comment